Lok Adalat means People’s Court. It is a forum where disputes/cases pending in the Courts of Law or cases that have not yet been brought before any court i.e., PreLitigation cases or matters, are amicably settled/compromised. The Consent of the parties is the only criterion for settlement before Lok Adalat. No court fee is payable when a matter is filed in Lok Adalat. If a matter pending in a court of law is referred to the Lok Adalat and is settled subsequently, the court fee originally paid in the court on the complaint/petition is also refunded to the parties.
Jupitice has partnered with Rajasthan State Legal Services Authority (RSLSA) and Maharashtra State Legal Services Authority (MSLSA) to facilitate the conduction of Lok Adalats across the states.
Jupitice provides Lok Adalat as a Service whereby Jupitice assists the Corporates, Banks, NBFCs, Insurance companies, e-Commerce companies, Credit Card companies, Digital Payment companies, Consumer Commissions, MSMEs and other large Organisations to settle their disputes with their customers/suppliers out of the courts. These settlements are Deemed Court Decrees enforceable in the Courts of Law and cannot be appealed.
Advantages of Lok Adalat
- Parties are not charged any fees. In case any amount is already paid, it will be refunded if the dispute is settled in the Lok Adalat.
- There are no complex procedures in Lok Adalat. CPC Procedural laws and the Evidence Act are not strictly followed while assessing claims.
- Disputants do not require lawyers as they can represent their own case. You can also get lawyers’ services for free (subject to certain conditions).
- The award (decision) made by the Lok Adalats is deemed to be a decree of a civil court and is Executable/Enforceable.
- Lok Adalat is a statutory body and at least one of its members is a sitting or a retired Judicial officer.
- Decisions are likely even as fast as within one day itself, i.e., on the same day when the Lok Adalat is held.